Wednesday, June 21, 2006

WE NEED YOUR OPINION...

is the saying: All talk but no cigar! an actual saying?

Please post a comment ASAP on my blog in regards to if you have EVER heard this saying.

*This is serious. Thank you for your support!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep have heard that one before!
Barry - Dublin

8:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've asked around here (at 2UE) and the saying we believe is actually "Close, but no cigar"

So in regards to your take on the saying Mon, "Close... but no cigar"

12:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the actually saying is "all talk and no trousers", but don't think that makes much more sense than your version. Ben

10:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fully a saying, just like "you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth with a blunt stick"
Beth

5:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree re "close but no cigar"

9:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear monique,

my name is seamus and i am a professor of the english language at trinity college, dublin.

'all talk but no cigar' is definately not a saying.

you are a foolish lass.

6:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the merger of two idioms:
- all talk, no action
- close, but no cigar

but it doesn't make much sense to me...it's like saying the pot is calling the kettle a chip off the old block.

Was it meant to be a pick up line?

8:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no.
it is not a saying.

sarah and anthea and clem rule.

lets rock galway

love anonymous

9:55 pm  
Blogger Mon said...

okay enough comments!!!
I might have to admitt that I am in fact wrong! Which is something fairly MASSIVE!!! Because as the little drunk italian man in slovakia says I think I am always right and normally I am but no not this time!
Meanwhile Ben love the trouser saying! WHOA!!!

9:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no definatley not.

and ben i rekon your comment makes perfect sense for those irish lasses....

11:49 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home