Thursday, May 10, 2007

A.C. - Feeling it!

Before I start there are somethings that you need to know about this trip with kylie:
´BAM´
´Feeling it´
´Not Feeling it'
´chiszzz'

That was basically our dialogue for the entire 2 weeks. We infected each other with this language (though kylie blames me for the majority of these but I dont remember really saying them before). Nobody would have any idea what we were talking because we would have entire conversations with these 4 saying. On the last night we past these on to a group of Israelies as common Australian slang. Hehehe but then again Cry me a river became popular.


So A.C - After we got the Car. Oh yeah!

Problem: Car is manuel and I dont have a license (how do you know you have been away from home too long? Your license expires and you don't know it till a month later when your Dad in Australia tells you)
Solution: Kylie drives
Problemo: The driving is long and stressful, full of hardcore dirt roads, 2 way road with only room for 1 car, road rules that don't apply AT ALL, massive winding turns and steep cliffs
Solution: Kylie drives and Monique sits shotgun hands gripped in the seat passing lollies, water, reading maps and providing religious conversation.

End Result:
  • Double yellow lines means DO OVERTAKE.
  • Flashing your highbeams means 'I am here so if you are falling asleep at the wheel don't hit me you B#*TARD.'
  • Holding in the button that says 'SLM' stops the car from beeping uncontrollablely.
  • Being 2 girls driving past road workers (or convicts- they were wearing bright orange jumpsuits) and men is completely different then in Australian. (As the majority of Argentine girls dont drive let alone go on road trips without their men)
  • Beeping your horn as you go around blind corners is a GREAT idea beeping at someone on a straight section just because you are nervous/surprised to see another car is even better.
  • Shotgun passengers need to chill out about driving into side bushes branches even if they have thorns on them.
  • Smiling and being 2 attractive Australian females will get you and your VW through any Macho Police and Army check points without any hiccups no matter how random and isolated they are. (By random and isolated I am talking havent seen a house or another car in hours and wham there they are in the middle of the road in a desert or rainforest).
  • When car rental places say no off road they mean drive it in dry river beds, over salt plains, throught rivers, along dirt roads and into fields. Oh and through so much dust that your door handles no longer work.
  • 1 euro speakers from Ireland still work a treat as the car surround sound system
  • 60KM really means about a 110KM (Seriously it does).

In the end, Kylie is a rockin Driver that can take on a massive truck going down a winding highway which is the width of 1 car with a swift flicker of her lights, glint of her smile and her foot to the floor. Now that's what I am talkin about!


OKAY enough car talk - to the photos. Just a warning there will be another post of other photos because Kylie's awesome camera capture the granduer way way way better then my one did. So we basically did 2 loops from salta. One to the North and one to the South

LOOP 1 Jujuy region. North towards the Bolivian boarder.

So whenever we found a good thing Kylie and I would bang our wrist together with the matching white leather bands we brought and say 'Chiszzz'. Hehehe it sounds bad when written. This is us at our first stop on the free road doing exactly that.

Shadows on the Salt!

Salt Plain AHOY! It tasted good!

Racing the sun to get to the town before dark.

Kylie at the wheel after a German couple led us on a wild goose chase down some random back roads in search of Inca stone paintings

Still on German wild goose chase at least they can take a photo of us!


Afternoon sunlight and cactus.

Cerro Chica. The place of my heart or maybe just the 5 star Hotel/cabin of my heart that cost us $50 australian for both of us a night. I am talking pool, amazing breakfast, wood fires, beautiful cabin and fantastic views. We stayed 2 nights and man was it GOOD.

Kylie among inca ruins and cactus.

Me and Kylie
Cactus
Ops there was a lot more to that loop then that but unfortunately I was a bum and didnt load the photos or didnt take that many. Ahhhh well good times.


LOOP 2 - Cachi and Cafayate. South and Towards the Chilean Boarder.

The road, mountain and sky. (I know great description)

Nothing like a road side lunch with the car in the background, the rooster, Kylie, fresh goats cheese and a bottle of red.


TAKE A PICTURE OF SOMETHING YOU SEE! Kylie and me and our beloved car.
WHOA 3,300 meters I had a massive headache all day maybe it was because we went down from 3000 feet then went back up again in a matter of hours. Pretty.

Church at this high point. Also seem to be the locals toilet spot. Yes I did dry retch but only once.

On the road again... left my heart on the road again.

Nothing like a bit of self timer on a major road!
Kylie and I doing what we do best eating and drinking. This is in Cachi and while I have a surprisingly few photos of us actually doing this kylie assures me, she has plenty of me doing this.

Another day another crazy landscape.


Cafayate. Wine country again. Wine tour again. 10:30am. Nice.

I have to tell this story the night before we had been chatting with Israelies and they were on the topic of politics and patrontism (i know surprising) when they stated to kylie 'You've never experience war!' to which Kylie automatically replied 'Well have you experienced war?!?' There was a deafening YES. I laughed my arse off. Too funny.

Kylie at the goats cheese farm with a goat ATTACKING her.

And then the car trip ENDED! Kylie went home and to work and I went to Tucuman (as pictured below).


It was good times zooming around in our VW gol (that is right not golf but gol). Kylie and I started the journey not actually having spent extended time together just the 2 of us EVER to ending it now knowing each other's detailed history and hard truths! Feeling it.

Okay more photos to come at a later date. Got to go and grab some food and start packing my god damn bag!

7 Comments:

Blogger hiedistar said...

Ahhhh the car! I was nervous about NOT driving for TWO years before getting back behind the wheel, but thanks to said-lax Argentine road rules it all turned out pretty easy.

Quote: "I think double yellow lines mean don't take over Kylie."
"Really?"

4:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT POST AND THOSE PHOTOS!!!

10:06 am  
Blogger flying carpet said...

Go the 1 euro speakers! (they are half mine you realise, I will be asking for custody upon your return)

1:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Monny -

What an AWESOME blog. Strap for cash?? Sell some of those pics! They're sensational! Keep eating and drinking you lucky b*#%h! ha.

Postie xxxxxxxxxx

6:07 pm  
Blogger Clementine said...

mon, I LOVE the BC! What a wicked blog and what an adventure - did the car survive in one piece??
We have got to get you driving manual!
Speaking of adventures, I am taking off to Broken Hill in my hols to go bush for 2 weeks with the Indigenous health service! whoa!
All is well here. Can't wait for you to come home... please?? xxxxx

5:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top post Mon, I love the little stories and photos! The amazing race went to the valley of the moon last week so was exciting to see your version of that place. P.S. I always seem to get the slow horse as well!

11:41 am  
Blogger Mon said...

The car was definitely looking worse for wear when we drop it back.
And Jo I can tell you that it felt like the amazing race at times.

And as for coming home...

3:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home